Thursday, October 29, 2009

The grass is always greener on the other side of the kitchen...

So this week, believe it or not, I am back with Monday. Because he doesn't run a primary kitchen team (meat or fish or firsts or desserts or etc.), he depends on the charity of other teams to operate. So every week goes the game of Russian roulette that decides who will be the lucky 2-4 people that get to spend quality time with Mr. Personality. It's been 5 weeks since I last had the privilege, so this week, my number was up.

The thing is, now I am having a hard time figuring out which spot I prefer. In all honesty, I would prefer neither; I would prefer any other team in the kitchen to Monday or Sany, but between the two, choosing my favored has become a conundrum. Yes, Sany is coarse, annoying, unpleasant to look at, and generally free of any redeeming qualities whatsoever; but by now I have learned how to stay off her radar, get my shit done, and make it to closing with minimal unpleasantness. Even whilst being berated I can go through the day pretty much unscathed, thanks to the Sany-shield I have built up. So when I'm on her team, I know what I have to do, I know the routines, I like the other people on my team, and the days, even the busy ones, are more or less gravy.

Monday's team, on the other hand, involves random tasks that change daily depending on what needs to get done. There's no wedding this week so we don't have to prep for that, which means there is even more time to fill. This is bad in the sense that sometimes the days streeeeeeetttttcccccchhhhh ooooooouuuuuttttt, but good in the sense that tasks change frequently enough to keep it interesting. It sucks not being part of the real kitchen, but at least I don't want for variety: in the last 48 hours I have eviscerated 2 types of bird (interesting enough), chopped half a dozen different vegetables to half a dozen different specifications (eh), hauled boxes and machinery (ugh), cooked for family meals (at least it's cooking), bagged bread (zzz), done random landscaping (that sucked), peeled a buttload of carrots & potatoes (that really sucked), and, best of all, helped finish the leftover booze in storage (that part was, obviously, fun). It sucks being the team that's the go-to for bitch work, but at least it only lasts a week. Plus, now that I'm not so new, Monday doesn't go out of his way to be an asshole (though it comes pretty naturally most of the time).

So where would I rather be? Believe it or not, I still vote Sany's team; I like being part of the machine and I like knowing the territory. But for now, I'll try to appreciate the variety, and I definitely dig the fact that we roll in at 9 and get 2+ hours for siesta every day guaranteed. And it's just over 3 days till I hop on a plane for Barcelona and see Julia... HOLLA!

For now, I'll keep grindin' on the Monday train... NOW FUCK OFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment