Thursday, October 15, 2009

Today was a good day.

So things are really movin' now at the restaurant... it's bedtime for me so I'ma keep this brief, but I felt it necessary to report on two key happenings today in the kitchen that has become my life.

First off, the gelpads I bought over the weekend are possibly the best purchase I have ever made in my life. I cannot even begin to describe the difference they have made in my day-to-day. Considering the fact that I spend roughly 16 hours on my feet every day, not being in incredible pain is something of a plus. Everything is so much more tolerable: the hours, the work, the rush... nothing is really that bad now that I am not wincing in pain with every step. Even Sany!

Which brings me to happening number 2: Sany smiled at me today! TWICE!!! I had to do a double take, I almost couldn't believe it. And she addressed me like a normal human being, which made me sure I was hearing things; cordial comments about the weather? Inquiring as to where I'm from? Good lord, I think I think the thermometer in hell just reached 32.

The most ironic part is that the first part of the day was one of the hardest I've experienced here. I left in shambles, dogged and seething... poor Julia even had to be on the receiving end of a venting rant in email form. (Sorry lamburger.) Somehow, I was able to collect myself over a cafe con leche and return refreshed, ready to be positive again. (Thanks Mom.) Well, positivity begets positivity, I'll be god damned. Sany was in a great mood for some reason and service was relatively slow, so despite being shorthanded, our team cruised all night, and I received the aforementioned cordialities!

So has it all been an act? Was she just breaking me down to mold me into her little soldier? Is it smooth sailing and rosy cozy posies from here on out? Not likely, since she was her usual pushy, anal, get-on-everyone's-ass self as soon as we started cleanup. But hey, so shines a ray of sun through the clouds. That, in itself, was enough to push me through to the weekend, which barring complications should include a trip to Bilbao to see the Guggenheim with Jay from SoCal. Stay tuned...

By the way, thanks for all the encouragement on this blog from friends and family alike via email, facebook, etc. Like I mentioned before, posting here and knowing y'all are reading back home is comforting; I feel the connection and it makes everything easier. So feel free to comment here in the blog (I think I changed the settings so that you can comment without being a member), or stick to other media. Either way, keep keeping in touch.

Okay, bedtime. In the words of someone I know: "NOW FUCK OFF!"

No comments:

Post a Comment